Developers and Industry Professionals to Share Expertise Next Week in Raleigh, NC
RALEIGH, N.C. – April 19, 2012 – The East Coast game Conference (ECGC) today announced the full lineup of speakers and sessions for this year’s event, taking place April 25-26, 2012 in Raleigh, NC. Along with exploring the core topic of “content > platforms,” professionals from around the nation will be leading panels, lectures, and discussions on a variety of specific industry tracks. For information on how to attend and experience these sessions firsthand, visit www.ecgconf.com.
Highlights from the ECGC 2012 program include:
For instructors and administrators from institutes of higher education that offer game programs or are planning to do so, as well as recent or upcoming graduates of game programs.
- Highlighted Speakers Include: Anne McLaughlin & Jason Allaire, NCSU; Michael Youngblood, Game Intelligence Group, UNC-Charlotte; Tim Johnson, Epic Games
The masters of the pixel will step out from behind the curtain and share some of the techniques that they’ve used to bring top titles to life.
- Highlighted Speakers Include: Kris Dell, Autodesk; Penka Kouneva, Hollywood composer (Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands; Gears of War); Patrick Roeder, Digital Roar Studios
Developers will share algorithms, engines, technology, techniques and best practices that today’s game companies must cultivate to create immersive, engaging entertainment products.
- Highlighted Speakers Include: Jim Van Verth, Insomniac Games; Dan Amerson, Activate 3D; Chad Carter, GlobalCove Technologies
- Game Design:
Speakers will discuss new game mechanics, turn over genre conventions and consider new ways to push the boundaries of gameplay.
- Highlighted Speakers Include: Chris Hazard, Hazardous Software; Alan Wilson, Tripwire interactive; Lew Pulsipher, Pulsipher Games
- Business and Serious Gaming:
This track will discuss industry trends, emerging business models, international business opportunities, the impact of the economic recession and other topics relevant to executives and studio owners small and large.
The track includes an all-star panel of games journalists from IGN, Kotaku, The Escapist, Polygon and Gamasutra discussing the perils and pleasures of writing about games.
- Highlighted Speakers Include: Dustin Clingman, ZeeGeeGames; Phaedra Boinodiris, IBM; Steve Reid, Red Storm Entertainment
- Social and Mobile:
Speakers in this track will outline the revolution happening in social networks, handhelds, independent development and how to best take advantage of these trends.
- Highlighted Speakers Include: Ethan Levy, BioWare; Daniel Plant & Missy Farrell, Disney-Playdom; Tim Horan, fiveonenine games
- Unreal University: Unreal University is an academic initiative sponsored by Epic Games to offer professional, hands-on guidance to those interested in using its award-winning Unreal Engine 3 (UE3) technology, including the Unreal Development Kit (UDK). Sessions are free, and topics include level design best practices, mobile game development tips and tricks, and more.
This year’s ECGC will also once again feature the popular Career Lounge, which includes roundtable discussions with local industry experts and the opportunity for aspiring developers and artists to have their work critiqued. Attendees can further interact with notable developers and publishers in the Expo Hall, including Zenimax Online, GREE International and EA Sports.
About ECGC 2012
Held annually in Raleigh, North Carolina, the East Coast Game Conference is the leading forum for game industry professionals on the East Coast to share expertise, network, and build careers. Companies both big and small with ties to interactive entertainment continue to gather in the Triangle, a gaming hub both for North Carolina and the East Coast overall. ECGC’s goal is to provide a yearly opportunity for market leaders, starting developers, and everyone in-between to engage, connect, and look to the future of the industry.
The program features panels and lectures by game industry experts covering a wide variety of topics, as well as an Expo and Career Lounge and the extremely popular return of Unreal University. For more information, visit www.ecgconf.com.
Ryan Morgan and Wendy Beasley
TriplePoint for ECGC