Unique 2D Pixel World Builder Gives Players Unlimited Control of Their Own Micro-Universe
SANTA MONICA, Calif. – June 5, 2014 – OUYA and Pixowl, Inc. today announced that The Sandbox, a game that gives players the power to build their own world pixel by pixel, will be available on OUYA this summer for free with in-game purchases. Originally launched in May of 2012 for iOS and Android, The Sandbox has been downloaded 10 million times, with over 1.5 million players building – and destroying – worlds every month.
In The Sandbox, players take on the role of an apprentice god given a world of his or her own for the first time. Combining materials that range from simple dirt and rock to abstract concepts like void, players can create living environments, complex machinery, pixel art, chiptune music, advanced contraptions and more before destroying it all at will. Players can explore hundreds of pre-built campaign levels ranging from the dawn of man to a robot apocalypse, or jump into free-play mode to tinker with physics and create as they wish.
The Sandbox features:
- Total freedom to create your world, your way—freely place, erase, and replace elements to shape the environment as you see fit.
- 150 dynamic elements to experiment with—combining elements creates new, and sometimes unexpected, results.
- Hundreds of campaign levels to direct your world building—from making mud from water and soil to creating complex electrical circuits, campaign levels provide a smooth introduction to The Sandbox’s mechanics and an intense challenge once players get up to speed.
- Play, rate, modify and upload your own created world in the Online Gallery, already featuring more than 750,000 players creations.
- OUYA optimized controls—the touch control scheme has been carefully rebuilt for OUYA, bringing the world-building experience to life on the big screen.
OUYA is a new kind of game platform that enables any creator to publish a game for the TV. Launched with the OUYA game console in 2013, OUYA has hundreds of games from established AAA developers to emerging game artists. The OUYA also has plenty of entertainment content in 1080p HD quality. OUYA, built on an accessible and open platform, was envisioned by founder and CEO Julie Uhrman. The OUYA console was beautifully designed by award-winning designer Yves Behar.
About Pixowl, Inc.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in San Francisco, CA, with development studios in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Pixowl, Inc. is a mobile game company. Pixowl’s experienced international team of dynamic innovators strives to meet and exceed the desires of mobile game players worldwide by blending exciting gameplay, comic book art and character-driven storylines.
With the success of its four iOS games The Sandbox, Greedy Grub, Doodle Grub and Safari Party, Pixowl has already established itself as a leader in casual mobile games.
Tristan Kruth, TriplePoint PR for OUYA