Assume control of a new Survivor, challenge The Grovetender in a new stage, and power creep even harder with more items
FRISCO, Texas – June 25, 2019 – Hopoo Games and Gearbox Publishing today released the first content update for Risk of Rain 2 called the Scorched Acres. The Scorched Acres Update brings content completely new to the Risk of Rain universe free for all owners of Risk of Rain 2 on Steam Early Access including a new stage, Survivor and boss along with more items, equipment and quality of life changes based on feedback from the community. Players can assume control of a new Survivor, REX, a symbiotic life form between plant and robot who deals big damage through the cost of its health.
Check out the trailer here: https://youtu.be/iTcysGn0t94
A breakdown of REX’s abilities and new game content are below:
- Passive: Abilities apply WEAKEN, a debuff which reduces enemy armor, movement speed and damage.
- Primary Fire: Fires three syringes in quick succession. The third syringe applies WEAKEN and heals REX.
- Secondary Fire: REX sacrifices its own health to launch a seedpod mortar. Aims at a distant location and lands after a brief delay for huge damage.
- Mobility: Launches REX backward and shoves all nearby enemies away and applies WEAKEN to them.
- Ultimate: REX sacrifices its own health to fire a flower that PULLS all nearby enemies and ROOTS them.
New Game Features:
- New Boss – The Grovetender: The Grovetender is a hook-throwing caretaker of wisps found only in its home of Scorched Acres. The Grovetender will fire a giant barrage of seeking wisps that detonate on contact and occasionally fire a burst of hooks from its masks that pull in any survivor it hits. And yes, there is a new song to welcome in this terrifying new boss.
- New Stage – Scorched Acres: Scorched Acres takes place at sunset in a mysterious installation in the woods, filled with smog from the surrounding nearby fires. As the new alternate third stage to the snow map Rallypoint Delta, Scorched Acres houses a new monster called the Clay Templar and the new boss, the Grovetender.
- New Enemy Affix – Malachite: Malachite enemies can now spawn in later difficulties as high-tier elites. Malachite enemies possess a number of unique abilities, such as temporarily disabling player healing.
- New Items, Equipment, Drones and More: An arsenal of new items and equipment is now at players’ disposal. This includes two new drones, the Equipment Drone and the Incinerator Drone; Category Chests; six new items, such as the Old Guillotine and the Little Disciple; and three new types of equipment such as the Spinel Tonic.
- Community Suggested Changes: Quality-of-life improvements suggested by the community have been implemented. This includes the HUD now displaying the current stage count and flashing health bars when the player reaches a critical health state.
Press and media can find assets for Risk of Rain 2 here.
The sequel to the beloved indie hit, Risk of Rain 2 brings 3D graphics and third-person shooter mechanics to the franchise while holding true to its roguelike roots. Risk of Rain 2 is available on Steam in early access for $19.99 and slated to launch in spring 2020. Download it today on Steam and learn more on Twitter, Facebook and the Hopoo Games DevBlog.
About Hopoo Games
A small team who started out as two students from the University of Washington, Hopoo Games made their mark with the award-winning indie success, Risk of Rain in 2013, followed by Deadbolt in 2016. Now a team of indie veterans, they’ve been hard at work on a hotly anticipated sequel to Risk of Rain featuring 3D graphics and third person shooter mechanics. Learn more at https://hopooo.tumblr.com/.
About Gearbox Publishing
Founded in 2016, Gearbox Publishing was established with the goal of helping developers around the world bring their products to market while retaining their unique creative visions. The mission began with the critically-acclaimed Homeworld Remastered Collection for PC, and have since been followed by many partnerships that include Epic’s Fortnite, tinyBuild’s Hello Neighbor ̧ and Compulsion Games’ We Happy Few. Gearbox Publishing continues to remain committed to its mission to entertain the world and become the most developer-friendly publisher in the industry. Learn more at http://www.gearboxpublishing.com.
# # #
TriplePoint for Risk of Rain 2